I guess you already have an idea what Chromecast is all about? If not, not let me start by giving you a hint. It is a cheap and convenient device for streaming music and video files through mobile and web applications. At the moment, we have three generations of Chromecast, but it is still a new device and users are only experiencing minor issues with it at the moment – one of which is Chromecast flashing red. This post will give you an insight into how you can rectify such a problem.
Before you start complaining about your Chromecast device, ensure you have checked all the possible causes of the problem you are experiencing with the device. Most times, users do experience continuous flashing of Chromecast’s red light. This signal simply means there is a problem with either the Chromecast or the connection.
What is the Meaning of the Flashing Red Light in Chromecast?
Each generation of Chromecast has different light signals for different problems. The first generation has white and red signals, whiles the second and third have white and orange light signals. If your Chromecast is flashing red, it simply means you are making use of the first-generation device. There are four possible reasons why your Chromecast might flash red, and they are listed below.
Four Possible Scenarios of Chromecast Flashing Red
- If your Chromecast is flashing red and you noticed it is updating in the background, then just know that everything is fine. All you need to do is to unplug the device or try using it until the update is complete.
- When Chromecast is flashing red and your screen seems fine, the issue might have occurred while an update is been installed
- When your device is flashing red and the screen is black, it simply means there is an error. You may have to reset the device
- When your Chromecast displays a solid red light (not blinking), it indicates there might also be an error on your device despite the screen working normally. You may have to restart the device
Once your Chromecast flashes any form of red light, it is never a good thing. In most cases, however, you can easily fix the problem.
How to Fix Chromecast Flashing Red
You can make use of different methods to stop the flashing red light on your Chromecast device. Sometimes, a simple reboot might just be all you need. Other times, you need to perform a full factory reset.
Here is how you can rectify the problems of Chromecast flashing red:
Sometimes, “Chromecast flashing red problems” maybe as a result of the High-Bandwidth Digital Connection Protocol (HDCP), which exists to prevent playing audio/or video on unauthorized devices. This protocol can sometimes interfere with the device.
Here is what you can do to check if this is the main cause:
- Try to plug the Chromecast into a different device. Not all devices have HDCP, so you can check first-hand if this is causing the error.
- Try to plug in your Chromecast to another HDMI port.
- You can also use an HDMI extender to bypass this problem.
- There are opinions on the internet that switching to a higher quality USB cable can fix the problem with the USB port.
Rebooting Your Chromecast
There are two ways to restart your Chromecast. It is either you perform a normal reboot or do a factory reset. Once you opt for a factory reset, have in mind that it will remove all your settings, preferences, and other saved data on the device.
A normal reboot will restart the device and pick up where it left off.
To reboot the device:
- Turn off your TV and unplug it from the power source.
- Unplug the Chromecast from the HDMI port and from the wall outlet.
- Turn on the TV again.
- Reconnect the Chromecast to the power source but not to the TV.
- Wait half a minute.
- Plug the Chromecast into the HDMI port.
- Change your TV to HDMI input (the same port as Chromecast).
If you encountered a Chromecast flashing red light for the first time and this method solves your problem permanently, then that is great. But in case the red light reappears, then you may have to do a factory reset.
A factory reset returns the Chromecast back to its primary preferences.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Google Home app.
- Choose the device you want to reboot in the menu and tap it.
- On the top-right, press the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Then tap ‘More’ (three vertical dots).
- Press ‘Reboot’.
Each Chromecast device comes with a built-in button to reset it manually. While it is plugged into your TV, you should press the button and hold it for around 30 seconds. The white light should start blinking and the TV screen should become black. This means that the reset has started.
How to Perform a Factory Reset from the Chromecast Web App if you are using Chromecast on PC
If you have a first-generation Chromecast installed on your PC, you can perform a factory reset from the Chromecast web app.
- Open the Chromecast WebApp.
- When the window opens, click on ‘Settings’.
- Click on the ‘Factory Reset’ button near the bottom of the window.
- The warning will pop up. If you want to proceed, just hit ‘Reset’.
What To Do if None of These Solves Your Problem
If any of these methods gets your problem solved, then you are good to go…just enjoy your streaming.
But if the Chromecast flashing red light persists after you might have tried all the above-mentioned methods, then you should contact the Google support team. You can simply explain the details of the problems you are encountering and ask them for possible solutions.