No doubt, Netflix is currently the leading video streaming platform you will find in the world today, because of its enormous catalog of movies. Netflix, like you, might already know, provide many other languages apart from English, which is the platform’s default language. In this post, I will be showing you how to change language on Netflix on an iPhone if you are currently making use of one.
Netflix provides the enablement for users to change the default language they use to navigate the app. This features also apply to both the audio and subtitle languages when watching Netflix content. Changing the language on Netflix on iPhone is pretty simple; learn the steps involved as you read on.
However, before you proceed, ensure that you have created a Netflix account and also have installed the app on your iPhone. You can as well check if there is an updated version of the app on the Apple App Store.
How to Change Language on Netflix
If you want to change the default language for your Netflix app on your iPhone, just follow these steps outlined below:
- Start the Netflix app on your iPhone.
- Choose the Netflix profile for which you want to change the app’s language.
- Tap the menu button located in the bottom right corner of the main screen. It is the icon in the form of three horizontal lines.
- Tap “Account”.
- The app will now guide you to Netflix’s webpage which opens in your browser.
- Scroll down to the “My Profile” section and tap “Language”.
- Select the language you want to use as the default Netflix language for your profile.
- Tap “Save” to confirm the changes.
- You should see the notification “Language saved” pop up.
Once you have successfully changed the language for the app, Netflix will now suggest other audio and subtitle languages that are most relevant to you.
How to Change the Audio Language on Netflix
It all depends on their availability on Netflix. If it is available, you will be able to change the audio language for some movies and TV shows you watch. This can be done by following the steps outlined below.
- Open the Netflix app on your iPhone.
- Play the title you want to watch.
- When the movie or TV show starts, tap anywhere on the screen.
- Now tap the “Dialogue” icon that looks like a speech bubble.
- If available, you should see other languages appear in the “Audio” section.
- Tap the audio language you prefer.
- Tap the “X” button to return to the video you’re watching.
After you have done this, you should be able to hear the audio in the language you have selected. If it happens that you have to change the language every time you play a title, it is probably because you are playing the titles rated for children. To ensure your audio language settings remain the same for any future playback, just play any title that is rated for teens or above and initiate the change.
Also read: FuboTV vs YouTube TV, Which One is Better?
You should also note that you cannot find the language you will like to use for audio; this is simply because Netflix does not have the feature available at the moment.
How to Change Language for Subtitles on Netflix
The process is a bit similar to that of changing the audio language, as I outlined earlier on.
- While you are streaming a movie or TV show, tap anywhere on the screen to bring up the controls.
- Then tap the “Dialogue” button to choose the subtitle language you prefer the most.
- When you are done, tap the “X” button to close the menu and return to the video.
Since Netflix is used across the world, there are lots of subtitle languages you can choose from. In order to make the viewing experience as convenient as possible, the app will not show you all of the available subtitle languages when you decide to change it. Based on the default language you’ve set for the Netflix app, as well as your location, the app’s algorithm will show you the five to seven most relevant languages you can choose for the subtitles.
If you decide to change which subtitle languages the app will offer you, you will first have to change the default language for the Netflix profile you are using. To do so, just follow the steps I outlined on the “how to change language on Netflix” section of this post.
Just like audio languages, if you cannot find the subtitle translation in the language you prefer, just know that Netflix does not have it yet.
By changing the language options, you can make Netflix work for you just the way you like it. When you add this feature to the huge catalog of movies and TV shows, you will agree that Netflix stands out as one of the best streaming platforms you will find in the world today.
Now you have learned how to change language on Netflix on iPhone, you can go ahead and give it a try. You can as well share your thoughts about this feature using the comment section below.