The Russia Preliminary Squad for the FIFA World Cup 2018 has been announced. The host country named their preliminary 26-man squad for the tournament coming up in June 2018. The Head Coach, Stanislav Cherchesov is actually counting on young players to fill the gaps left by their injured footballers.
The Host country, is actually hoping to make it to the knock out stage of the World Cup for the first time in the post-Soviet era. Russia will host the tournament from June 14 to July 15, 2018, in 12 different venues spread across the 11 cities, which includes Moscow, St. Petersburg and Sochi.
Only three players who played outside the country are actually included in the Russia Preliminary Squad for the FIFA World Cup 2018. They are Vladmir Gabulov (Brugge), Roman Neustadter (Fenerbahce), and Denis Cherishev (Villarreal). Also included in that category are six returning players from Russia’s 2014 World Cup Squad.
Rubin Kazan defender RuslanKambolov, investigated by FIFA over alleged doping violations, also made the squad. His lawyers said last month that FIFA had closed the case against him.
Zenit St Petersburg forward Alexander Kokorin, one of Russia’s top strikers, was not included because he is still recovering from a right knee injury.
Defenders Viktor Vasin and GeorgyDzhikiya were also ruled out with the same injury.
Russia Preliminary Squad 26-man List
Below is the 26-man list that made up the Russia Preliminary Squad for the FIFA World Cup 2018.
- Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow)
- Vladimir Gabulov (Brugge)
- SoslanDzhanaev (Rubin Kazan)
- Andrei Lunev (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Vladimir Granat (Rubin Kazan)
- RuslanKambolov (Rubin Kazan)
- Fedor Kudryashov (Rubin Kazan)
- lya Kutepov (Spartak Moscow)
- Roman Neustadter (Fenerbahce)
- Konstantin Rausch (Dynamo Moscow)
- Andrei Semenov (Akhmat Grozny)
- Igor Smolnikov (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Mario Fernandes (CSKA Moscow)
- Yuri Gazinsky (Krasnodar)
- Alexander Golovin (CSKA Moscow)
- Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow)
- Alexander Erokhin (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Yuri Zhirkov (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Daler Kuzyaev (Zenit St. Petersburg)
- Roman Zobnin (Spartak Moscow)
- Alexander Samedov (Spartak Moscow)
- Anton Miranchuk (Lokomotiv Moscow)
- Alexander Tashaev (Dynamo Moscow)
- Denis Cheryshev (Villareal)
- ArtemDzyuba (Arsenal Tula)
- Alexei Miranchuk (Lokomotiv Moscow)
- Fyodor Smolov (Krasnodar)
- Fyodor Chalov (CSKA Moscow)
This is the 26-man list that made up the Russia Preliminary Squad for the 2018 World Cup which will start in June 2018. What are your thoughts?