Zoom has acquired lots of users during this pandemic because of its unique feature which allows many users to engage in a conference meeting. This is one of the best measures to actualize social distancing while at the same time holding meaningful meetings. In this post, I will be showing you how to change your name on Zoom meeting using either the Desktop or Mobile App.
Because Zoom is primarily a business conference app, users generally use their names as-is. The name information might not be accurate sometimes, that is Zoom creates an opportunity for participants to make their preferred name change.
Also read: How to Mill Spare Cards in Gwent Using this Easy Steps
Having this in mind, you can change the display name on your Zoom profile before entering a meeting. There is also an option that allows you to change your name while you are in a specific Zoom room. The important aspect is that any meeting participant can change his or her name without host privileges. Now, let me show you how to change your name on Zoom meeting before entering into a meeting.
How to Change Your Name on Zoom before a Meeting
You can change your display name on Zoom through the web portal, the desktop app, and the mobile app. Before you proceed, note that the action to update the name settings from the desktop app takes you to the web portal. This is the reason why I merged the two methods while having a separate method for the mobile app.
So, let’s go!
How to Change Name on Zoom before a Meeting via Web Portal/Desktop App
- Go to zoom.us and sign into your account, then click on “My Profile”.
- If you are using the desktop app, click on the gear icon under your profile image to access the settings menu.
- Now, you need to click on “Edit My Profile” and you will be directed to “My Profile” within Zoom web client.
- Click on “Edit” next to your name and Zoom brings out quite a comprehensive menu to update the data.
- To change the name, select the corresponding box and type in the desired name.
This is also where you can include your phone number, update the job title, company, as well as department. You can also include your current location right here.
The interesting aspect is that Zoom does not seem to use any geographical algorithm. But this is actually not a surprise, going by the nature and scope of the app.
Also read: How to Change Your Age on TikTok – A guide from TikTok Team
How to Change Name on Zoom before a Meeting via Mobile App
- Hit the Zoom icon on your smartphone to launch the app
- Select “Settings” at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap on your current name to open the editing menu.
- Then choose Display Name in the following window.
Tap the name and surname to change it to whatever name you prefer. You will also find an X icon next to the name and surname, which can be used to quickly delete the settings. Though it is a minor thing, but it helps to avoid relentless backspacing or trying to select full text on a small screen.
Once you are done changing your name, hit the “Save” button in the upper right corner of your screen and your name will be updated. This same action syncs to all your devices that you have Zoom on it with the same account.
How to Change Your Name on Zoom Meeting
When you are in a particular Zoom room or meeting, you or any other participant can change their display name. As I have stated earlier, you do not need administrative or host privileges to carry out this function. Here is how to change your name on Zoom meeting.
- Click on the Participants icon at the bottom of the Zoom Room window.
- This will take you to a meeting menu featuring the topic, host, invitation, and participant information.
- There are also clickable thumbnails to Share Screen, Join Audio, or Invite Others. And a Participants pop-up automatically appears allowing for more actions.
- The bottom part of the Participants pop-up features two options – Raise Hand and Rename. Click on Rename to update your in-room display name.
- There is another pop-up and you are required to type your preferred name in the “Enter New Name” box. Once you’re done click OK and your new name should appear within the app.
- The same pop-up features the “Remember my name for future meetings” option. Feel free to check the box in front of it to save the settings.
How to Edit Other Personal Information on Your Zoom Profile
Apart from knowing how to change your name on Zoom meeting, there are other customizations you can carry out on your Zoom profile too. Let me take you through some of them.
You can also edit your profile picture on Zoom. This is one of the simplest thing you can do, and it is the same process via Web, Desktop or Mobile App. Just follow the steps outlined below.
- Navigate to Settings from your profile page
- Select the image, and hit “Change” or “Change Image” under the current avatar.
- Then, you will be taken to your local storage to select the image.
Though there are no rules for Zoom profile pictures, but it would be best to use a professional-looking photo, similar to the one you are using on LinkedIn, for example.
There are also options to change Personal Meeting ID and Personal Link. To change the Personal Meeting ID, select “Edit” and type the ID you’d like to use. For Personal Link, you click on Customize to make changes, and this option is available on Education and Business accounts.
You can also edit the Date and Time to reflect your current location. And “Calendar and Contacts Integration” option allows you to connect more than a few productivity apps to your Zoom account.
If you are using Zoom just for personal communication, then you can choose one of those fancy names. But if it is for a business purpose, I will advise you to stick to your real name – it is more professional that way. That wraps it up on how to change your name on Zoom meeting. Feel free to drop other ideas about Zoom in the comment section of this page.
No Comment! Be the first one.