Are you looking for ways to mass delete Discord messages, be it a direct message or messages in a Channel? Then you are lucky to come across this article. Right here, I will be showing you how to delete all messages in Discord using three different and simple methods.
Discord is a popular and interesting app, which is used for communication and creating a tight-knit community among users. If you are familiar with this app, you will agree that managing your own Discord server is not always an easy task. Before you proceed, you should check out the best Discord bots that you should install on your server. Also, if you are a stunt gamer, you should read this article on how to install Discord on Xbox One.
Now moving back to messages on Discord, you will agree that managing old messages is one of the administrative headaches of running an active Discord server, especially when you need to delete negative or unacceptable messages.
Depending on the size of your Discord server, your text chat can eventually become filled with thousands of messages. If you want to mass delete Discord messages in order to get rid of inappropriate ones, or you just want to wipe the slate clean, it is important for you to know the easiest way to do it.
That is why in this article I will be showing you how to delete all messages in Discord in order to manage your Discord’s server message backing. So, let us go ahead.
How to Delete All Messages in Discord
Discord has two different types of text messages: Direct messages and Channel messages. Direct messages are private conversations between two individuals, while channel messages are text chats shared within the entire group on a particular channel. So, if you want to learn how to delete all messages in Discord, you must focus on the two types.
The two types of message work in different ways and has different rules. In the period when Discord was released, admins could delete messages in bulk within the native UI of the app. This results in database problems because too many admins were mass-deleting messages at the same time. This made the developers remove bulk-deleting functionality from the native UI. Though it may not be as easy as before, it is still possible to delete all your Discord server’s messages.
How to Delete Direct Messages in Discord
To delete all Discord messages from users in dm, you can close the chat panel to erase the specific message so that it can be cleared from your history. Below are the steps on how to achieve that.
- Right-click on the user you have exchanged Direct Messages with and select “Message”.
- In the Direct Message panel on the left side of the screen, hover over the conversation and click the “X” that appears.
NOTE: This step does not give a confirmation dialogue, so you should endeavor not to click the X on conversations you do not want to delete.
If you just want to hide few direct message conversations, this is all you need to do. If you want to delete channel messages, then read the steps below.
How to Delete Channel Messages in Discord
Unlike direct messages, channel messages can be deleted using a different method. Below are the steps you should follow when you want to delete channel messages in Discord.
Method 1: Manual Deletion
Follow these steps to manually delete all channel messages in Discord
- Open the text channel that has the message you want to delete.
- Hover over the message until the three-dot icon appears on the far right. Click on the icon, and then select “Delete” from the menu.
- A window will open asking you to confirm your selection. Click the “Delete” button.
This method works fine if you have few problematic messages you want to get rid of, but it is not suitable for removing large quantities of text messages.
If you want to delete bulk messages, then you will have to use one of the following methods below.
Method 2: Using a Discord Bot
There are lots of Discord bots that have the bulk-delete option. However, the MEE6 bot is the current favorite amongst Discord server admins. You can refer to the second paragraph of this page where I talked about the best Discord bots which every Discord user should install on their server.
Installing the MEE6 bot is really simple, just log into your Discord server and follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the MEE6 website.
- Select “Add to Discord”
- Select the appropriate server
- Select “Continue” in the popup window to link the MEE6 bot to your Discord server
- MEE6 will then ask you to grant specific permissions so that it can delete messages. Click the “Authorize” button.
- For user verification, click the box in the captcha window and follow the verification prompts.
Once you have finished installing MEE6, you can use its variety of features from the browser window, or enter commands within the Discord chart to delete messages and lots more.
To delete messages in your Discord chat app, just use the following commands:
- Use ‘!clear @username’ to delete a specific user’s previous 100 messages.
- Use ‘!clear 500’ to delete the last 500 messages on the channel.
You can also change the numbers to either increase or decrease the number of messages you want to delete, up to 1,000.
You will agree with me that this is by far the easiest method for deleting a large number of messages at once in Discord.
Also, if this command is not working for you, you should visit the MEE6 website and clock on Moderator. Enable the function, and the command will start to work properly.
Method 3: Clone the Channel
If the MEE6 method does not work for you, the last method of deleting all Discord channel messages is to clone the channel. This method will create a copy of the channel without the channel’s old message history.
NOTE: Take a list of the bots you have on the channel because cloning does not always copy them over to the new channel.
To clone a Discord channel, just follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the channel you want to clone. Select “Clone Channel”.
- Rename the cloned channel if you wish.
- Delete the old version. Open the new cloned version and add any bots you require.
- Cloning a channel will also add users from the old one, and it will recreate everyone’s permissions. This process makes it much easier than creating a new channel from scratch. Now, all the messages in the old channel are gone, and your new channel has the same settings.
Learning how to delete all messages in Discord is very easy if you patiently follow the steps I outlined in this article. You will agree with me if you must have read this post to this extent. If you find this article informative enough, kindly use the share buttons to pass the information across to your loved ones.