In this article, I will be showing you how to change username on Snapchat because many people are finding it difficult to carry out this edit in 2020. I guess you are one of them and that is why you stumbled upon this post. Do not worry, you will find al the necessary guidance on how to change your username on Snapchat right in this article.
Snapchat, like most users, already know, has a very strict policy when it comes to usernames. Once you sign up for a Snapchat account, the username you picked at the signing up process can never be changed. The owners of Snapchat has made it clear that they are maintaining this standard just for security reasons. To date, they have not changed this policy.
I guess this statement got you worried. You do not need to. In this article, I will be showing you how to maneuver Snapchat’s policy of not being able to change the username.
Still, we can show you a few tips on how to get around Snapchat’s policy of not being able to change your username. Follow the steps below on how to change username on Snapchat, and achieve your aim with no stress.
How to Change Username on Snapchat by Changing Your Display Name
Though Snapchat is still maintaining its username policy, there are ways users can still get around it. One of these is by changing your “Display Name”. Usernames and Display Names are two different things to Snapchat. A display name, just like it sounds, is what is prominently shown under your profile picture. Any Snapchat post you made, will be shown under this Display Name. To change your display name on Snapchat, simply carry out these steps:
- Open your Snapchat account and then tap on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the screen.
- You can access the “Edit Display Name” feature in several ways. You can do this by tapping on the cog icon on the upper right corner of your screen and then tapping on your name. Alternatively, you can tap on your name directly under your profile picture on your profile screen.
- Change your display name to whatever you wish. Note though that if you are a Content Creator, your name must follow Snapchat’s creator guidelines.
- Once you are done changing your name, tap on “Save”. Remember though that those who added you before your change of name will continue to see you under the name that they added you with. Any new users that add your account will see you under your new “Display name”
Snapchat also gives you the ability to change the Display Names of the people in your album. To do this:
- Navigate back to your profile menu by tapping on the profile icon.
- Tap on the “My Friends” tab below your profile to be shown a list of your friends.
- Choose a friend and tap on their icon. This will open the chatbox.
- Tap on your friend’s icon on the upper left corner of the chatbox to open the edit display name page.
- Change the Display name to what you want then tap on Save.
- Changing a friend’s display name will not affect their actual account. They also won’t be notified that their name has been changed in your album. The change is local and does not reflect on anything other than your account.
Creating a New Snapchat Account
If changing your display name does not give you what you wanted, you can always create a new Snapchat account with a new email and username. Before opening a new account, kindly note that any of the details on your old account such as Memories, Trophies, or Snapstreaks, will be lost. There is no means to automatically transfer your friend’s list from one account to another.
But you can still transfer your friend’s contact with your new account manually. This is quite inconvenient for those with a large number of contacts. To save stress, you can transfer contacts in batches if you wish, as you do not need to delete your old account right away.
You should also take note of your friend’s username instead of their display names. Usernames are unique to each account, while display names can be used by more than one person.
Once you have created a new Snapchat account, tap on the search box on the top of the screen. Enter your friend’s username, then tap “+Add” to add them to your friend’s list. If your friends are also in your phone’s contact, you can simply use the “All Contacts” option on the “Add Friends” tab to include them on your list. Once you have transferred all your contacts, you may choose to delete your old account.
Until Snapchat amens their policy and allows users to be able to change their usernames, those that wish to do so are stuck with these alternatives. Though it is not the outright solution, it is at least worth it. If you know any other tips on how to change username on Snapchat, please share it with us using the comment section on this page.