In this post, I will be showing you how to fix Xbox One error 0x800704cf using various methods that are very easy to carry out. The good part is that you can actually do it yourself, and get your console running back again in no distant time. All you have to do is to follow the steps outlined in this article.
Before you proceed, you can also check out my previous post on how to fix Xbox One error E102. The information you will find in that very post can be useful to you as well.
The Xbox One error 0x800704cf simply indicates that there is a network problem that is preventing you from signing in to your Xbox account. This same error can come up when the Xbox console cannot launch your favorite games due to network issues.
The error message that normally comes up read as follows:
You will need the internet for this. It doesn’t look like you’re connected to the internet. Please check your connection and try again. 0x800704cf
How to Fix Xbox One error 0x800704cf
Use the following methods to fix the Xbox One error 0x800704cf when it occurs on your console.
Check the Service Status
Since the error 0x800704cf usually appears when there is a general network problem, you should first of all start by checking the Xbox Service Status. If there is a known issue that could be triggering this error, it should be on the list. If you find the error on the list, you should wait until Microsoft has fixed the problem.
The Xbox One error 0x800704cf could also come up as a result of temporary server issues caused by an unusually high number of requests. In other words, this is when the Xbox servers are overwhelmed. You should wait for five or ten minutes, these issues usually disappear after a few minutes.
Restart or Unplug Your Modem
If the error 0x800704cf persists, it is time to check your network connection. You can simply restart your modem and check if this simple workaround can fix the issue.
You should try to unplug your modem if you have not done that for a while. Unplug the power cable and leave your modem unplugged for three minutes. Then power it back and check if the Xbox One error 0x800704cf is still there.
If you suspect the error is caused by low bandwidth, you should try and disconnect all other devices using the network.
Clear Local Xbox 360 Storage
You can clear the local Xbox 360 storage to fix the error 0x800704cf. just follow the steps below to carry that out.
- Navigate to “Settings”
- Select “System”
- Go to “Storage”
- Then select “Clear local Xbox 360 storage”
- Restart your console and check again.
Clear the MAC Address
You can also try to change the MAC address of your console.
- Navigate to “Settings”
- Go to “General settings”
- Select Network “Settings”
- Then go to “Advanced Settings”
- Locate and select “Alternate MAC Address”
- Clear the current “MAC Address”
- Restart your console and reconnect to your network. The console should start updating now if there’s a new version available.
This will take us to the next solution
Also read: How to Detect and Fix Common Mac Problems
Update Your Console
If your console is running on an outdated system version, do not be surprised if it develops a glitch.
- Go to “Profile & system”
- Select “Settings”
- Then go to “System”
- Select “Updates” to check for updates.
Go to the Troubleshooting Screen
if your console is not updating correctly, just try out the following:
- Take out the power cable and leave your Xbox console unplugged for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Then hold the “Sync button” on the controller and press the “Eject button”
- While holding down these buttons, press the “ON button” on the console
- Wait until you hear a second ON sound. You can then release the Sync and Eject buttons.
- You should see the troubleshooting screen now
- Select “Continue” and update your console
Launch a Game without Signing in
Some users attested that using this method actually worked for them in fixing the Xbox One error 0x800704cf. Just follow the steps below.
- Sign out and reconnect the console to your network.
- Select a random game and launch it.
- You will be prompted to sign in once you reach the game’s login screen.
- Select your profile, and try to sign in. There should be no error this time around.
Reset Your IP and DNS
Resetting your IP and DNS may also solve this problem. Below is how you can do that.
- Navigate to “Settings”
- Go to “General”
- Select “Network Settings”
- Then, go to “Advanced Settings”
- Select “IP Settings”
- Set the IP settings to “Automatic”
- Repeat the same steps for the DNS settings to get a new DNS
- Check the connection
Reset Your Console
Resetting your console without deleting your games and app may assist you in getting rid of this Xbox One error 0x800704cf. You can reset your console with the following method.
- Open the guide and go to “System”
- Then select “Settings”
- Go to “System → Console info”
- Locate the “Reset console” option.
- Select it and keep your games and apps.
- After the process is complete, you can power cycle your console.
If you have tried any of the solutions and it worked for you, kindly share your experience in the comment section of this page.