Some people who bought this tax software have been asking why TurboTax won’t download or install on Windows PC? Yeah this article is all about TurboTax, and the issue which some users of this software are facing. In this article, I I will be showing you how to fix issue, and get your tax tool working again. As you read on, you will get to see how to install TurboTax on Windows 10 PC.
Millions of TurboTax users in the United States, rely on this tool to file their taxes online. TurboTax is an expensive tool, so most users expect everything to run smoothly after purchasing it, but it Is not so. Sometimes, you may need to do some troubleshooting before getting the tool to work for you. For example, if you want to download or install TurboTax on Windows, it may not always work. So, let me show you what you can do to fix this issue.
How to Fix TurboTax Won’t Download or Install on Windows Issue
Carry out the following fixes if you cannot download or install TurboTax on Windows 10 PC.
Run Intuit’s RegPermissionFix Tool
Intiuit has developed a fast repair tool that allows users like you to automatically fix the issues obstructing Windows from downloading and installing TurboTax. You can download the RegPermissionFix tool from Intuit online.
After you must have downloaded the RegPermissionFix tool, you should close all Intuit processes running in the background. To do this:
- Launch the “Task Manager”
- Click on the “Processes” tab, and locate all the “Intuit-related processes”
- Right-click on them, and select “End Task”
- Then click on the “Details” tab and locate the “Mslexec.exe process”. Force stop it as well after.
After closing all Intuit-related background processes, run the RegPermissionFix tool. Restart your computer, and check if you can now install TurboTax on your PC.
Check Your Drive for Errors
Corrupted or missing files can prevent you from installing new software on your PC. Run the DISM and SFC commands, and then check your disk for errors. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Launch Command Prompt with admin rights.
- Run the following commands one by one:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
- sfc/ scannow
- Then, go to This PC and right-click on your OS drive.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the Tools tab.
- Hit the Check button under the Error checking section.
After that, right-click on the TurboTax installation file, and select “Run as Administrator”.
Force-stop All Background Programs
You should end all the unnecessary processes running in the background and try to install TurboTax again. Software conflicts can also prevent you from installing TurboTax on your PC.
To achieve this, open the “Task Manager”, go to the “Processes” tab, and force-stop all the unnecessary apps and programs running in the background. Alternatively, you can also clean boot your PC. After this, check if you can install TurboTax now.
Change TMP and TEMP Environment Variables
Try changing your environment variables to C:\TEMP, and check if you notice any changes, just follow the steps below.
- Click on the “Search icon” and type “environment”
- Then, double-click on “Edit the System Environment Variables”
- In the new “System Properties” window, click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Click on the “Environment Variables” button.
- A new window will pop up, the current user environment variable values are at the top, while the system variables are at the bottom.
- Locate the “TEMP” and “TMP values”
- Select each entry and then click on the “Edit” button.
- Change the “Variable value” to C:\TEMP
- Important note: Change only the variable value, do not change the variable name
- Save the settings, and close all dialog windows.
Environment variable changes will be applied immediately, and there is no ned for you to restart your computer. Check if you can install TurboTax now. If the issue persists, disable your antivirus and try it again. do not forget to turn your antivirus back on after installing TurboTax.
if you cannot download or install TurboTax on your Windows PC, you should follow the steps I explained on this page. If any of these fixes worked for you, kindly tell us which of them in the comment section. This is all you need to know about fixes related to TurboTax in 2022.